Tuesday, August 1, 2017

I teach too

I want to start with a confession.

I'm not a homeschool mom.

Don't get me wrong, I love homeschool moms. But I am not one. I don't have the temperament. My kids don't have the need; they enjoy school. I like our public schools. I like that my kids go to school every day.  Some of you don't. For whatever reason, you keep your kids home with you and educate them at home, and that's awesome! Good schools are awesome. Good homeschools are awesome. All of these things are awesome.

But I teach too.

I'm a teacher by training, a high school English teacher, and really since I was a little girl my default has been teaching. I'm a SAHM now to a first grader and a 4 year old who will attend half day preschool three days a week in the fall. I'm grateful to be home with them. I really am.

But I also love to teach. 

And so, since they were very small, I've been enriching and supplementing with stuff I do at home. Finding lessons and activities is like a game for me. I enjoy it, it gives me a sense of meaning. I'm good at it.

And recently I've realized slowly that this propensity to seek out this stuff doesn't come naturally to everyone. And I've realized that maybe this stuff I do with and for my own kids because it's what I'm meant to do would be helpful to other moms. Moms who want to enrich and supplement school like I do and moms who educate completely at home. And I though, maybe just maybe what I have is worth sharing.

So here I am. Sharing what I find, what I do. If there's anything you would like help finding for your own kids, by all means tell me in a comment and I'd be glad to write a post for you.

1 comment:

  1. Don't let her fool ya, she does most of the teaching and she lets the public school supplement :) She is amazing at finding resources and material. I am the homeschool mom who stinks at it!

    ReplyDelete