Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Founding Fathers and the Revolution (Social Studies)

This summer I decided I wanted to cover some history of the revolution with my kids. They were interested, so I dove in from as many angles as I could. 


 


 My family loves this entire series of books, and the George Washington one is no different. It highlights the choices he made that helped to change the world, even when those choices were hard.



   


 I had, myself, read almost nothing about John Adams or Thomas Jefferson, so when I decided that was a thing I was going to do with my kids, I was as fascinated as they were. This book highlights both the contrasts between Adams and Jefferson, and the way they worked together to found our country. 



This episode of Liberty's Kids shows the Founding Fathers signing the Declaration of Independence. My kids LOVED it. The entire Liberty's Kids series is also available on Netflix, or you can buy the DVD on Amazon for less than $10 here: Liberty's Kids: Education Edition + Digital Content.

I also have to say that I love School House Rocks, and these two videos are perfect for this theme.







And one more easy resource that my older daughter loves is the game Mission US: For Crown or colony.



This is an online game where kids get to play the role of a young man in Boston during the time of the revolution. They get to make choices at various key moments and to watch the revolution begin to unfold. The website says the game is for middle school age kids, but my six year old is able to follow it very well. Reading skills are required.

Do you have any other resources for the revolution and founding fathers that you'd like to share? Are there any other topics you'd like to see me cover? Please comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment