Monday, October 16, 2017

Cuba

This unit is another one on request, this time on the nation of Cuba. I didn't know a lot about Cuba before I started this, so it was really cool to learn.



This 8 minute video from the Geography Now channel on Youtube gives a good overview and background presented in a fun way.


For a good, complete description, I recommend the National Geographic Kids page on Cuba, which includes the flag, statistics, and great images.

For a more thorough look at Cuba's full history, the site History of Cuba has great timelines and articles about various periods in history.


Since I love incorporating the arts, I thought this great video on Cuban music from All Around this World music was a great addition.

For older kids, this complete lesson focused on Immigrant journeys uses the PBS documentary 90 miles and seems very thorough. I haven't been able to find the full documentary online but there are clips on the website, or you can buy it from Amazon:





The 90 miles website also includes a great reading list. Some books that stood out to me are below:

1 comment: