Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Into the ocean


A few nights ago, my first grader was drawing a picture of the coral reef and she looked up at me and said "Hey, mom, can we do one of your learning things on the ocean?

SURE.

So I set right to work putting together stuff about the ocean, and man I have been having so much fun and learning a lot!



Ms. Frizzle is my favorite. In this book, she takes the kids to the ocean floor and they learn about all kinds of life there.



This is a basic counting book, but it also has lots of beautiful illustrations of life in the coral reef.



This is a nice book that has lots of great content about the ocean. Like with most nonfiction books, my girls got bored pretty quickly and just flipped through picking out what was interesting to them - but I think that's okay!



Crash Course Kids is one of my favoritest youtube channels for learning about science. This video has basic information about the different ocean zones, and there are plenty of other videos in their channel about oceans and their challenges.



Sci Show kids made a playlist for World Ocean Week which has lots of neat videos about different ocean animals and aspects of the ocean. My favorite (although not the most educational) is the seal riding on a turtle. :)

National Geographic has an entire Ocean portal with links to lots of cool videos, photos, and articles where you and your kids can dig deeper into any area of ocean life you want.

And I absolutely recommend you take a second with your kids every day that they care to and click on the Rescue Ocean Wildlife click to give page through Care2.

And as a quick bonus, because you know how I love the arts, Handel's water music.

No comments:

Post a Comment