Monday, June 24, 2019

Fun, cheap, and easy ways to avoid the summer slide

Summer is here and I know that everyone wants to kick back and take a break, but we also don't want our kids to lose half a year of progress in their education. So here are some fun ways to sneak in some learning without laying out a lot of money.

1.  Your local library. Without question, this is my favorite resource for summer learning. Most likely, your library has some kind of summer reading program that rewards kids for reading books, but also look for all the free programs and classes they offer. In addition to storytimes, there are often science programs, school readiness classes, and music classes. And of course, you can check out books and often access online resources like audiobooks and educational videos.

2. Podcasts. We spend a lot of time in our car in the summer,  driving back and forth to activities, parks, and pools. I tend to fill this time with educational stuff. Some podcasts that both my kids and I love:

Goodnight Stories for Rebel Girls. This is probably my favorite. The podcast features biographies of powerful women through history.

Brains on. This podcast features really cool science topics in shows with lots of kid-interaction.

Stories. This one is just what it sounds like, storytelling at its best.

3. Computer games. My kids beg for screen time, so I make sure it's learning time too.

Prodigy is one of my new favorites. It is an interactive fantasy world game that incorporates math. In order to fight monsters, players need to complete math problems. The math is adaptive and adjusts to each student's individual level. My kids love this, and I love that they are doing math. Plus it's completely free! (Your kids may ask you to upgrade. I'm told that the upgrade gives them bonuses for the game play section, but doesn't add to the educational aspects.)

Reading A-Z. You can get a free trial to RAZ kids, which lets kids read leveled readers at their levels and take quizzes on them to earn points to upgrade their avatar. The trial does NOT auto renew, so you won't end up paying.

Reflex Math is a gamified math fluency site. It also has a free trial that doesn't auto renew.

Homeschool Buying Co-op has a whole page full of trials available for the summer.

4. Printables and books. This is the one that gets me the most push back from my kids because it feels the most school-like.

This summer learning pack from This Reading Mama contains mostly fun activities which kids don't realize are helping them practice valuable skills.

My kids did like this Star Wars math workbook. There are multiple grade levels available, and there's a reading/language arts version too.

That's all for me for now because we're off to the park again! I would love to hear what summer learning resources you use!


No comments:

Post a Comment